Bamia (okra with meat) is a Middle Eastern recipe cooked with lamb, tomatoes, and okra as main ingredients. You can use some extra ingredients also like onion, tomato sauce, cilantro (coriander) garlic, vegetable oil, cardamom, pepper, and salt. Sinew or tendons of lamb are also used in this recipe. But maybe that takes longer times to cook. An Egyptian garlic sauce – Ta’aleya, is used as an ingredient to add aroma to Bamia.
Okra tagine with meat (Bamia)
- 1 frozen pack of small okra
- 1 pound of meat cut into medium-sized pieces
- 7 tomatoes
- 1 big onion cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- In a pan, put the oil & onion on medium heat.
- When the onion turns into brown in color, add in the meat & stir quickly.
- Put the tomatoes in the blender, together with half a cup of water.
- When the meat becomes golden brown in color, add in the tomatoes. Cover & put the heat onto low.
- Leave for about 45 minutes kr until the tomato sauce thickens. Add 3 cups of water and leave them to boil.
- Now uncover & add the okra. Cook for 30 minutes then put your delicious meal in a tagine.
- Cook in the oven for more 30 minutes, at 160 degreeC.