This Lebanese Chickpea Stew is a great and healthy source of protein and vitamins. Even after it gets cold, you can reheat this recipe, and you will be surprised at how delicious it is, you will get addicted to it.
Lebanese Style Chickpea Stew
- 30 ounces of chickpeas canned, or home cooked at home, make sure to drain before using
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of za'atar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 roasted bell pepper Chopped into pieces of about ½-inch
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 1 Pinch of salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley finely chopped
- With the help of a mortar or pestle, or with the help of a food processor, crush the garlic with the cumin very well until you get a coarse paste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add in the cumin together with the garlic mixture and sauté for about 1 minute
- Add in the tomato paste, the red pepper flakes, and the paprika.
- Sauté while stirring frequently, for about 2 additional minutes.
- Add in the chickpeas and stir very well to mix.
- Add in four cups of cold or warm water, the za'atar, bay leaves and the roasted red pepper.
- Mix your ingredients very well.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, lower the heat, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Season with the salt to taste and add in the parsley; then turn off the heat.
- Serve your stew hot. This recipe can be served with rice, whether white or brown