Preparing Yemeni chicken Madghout needs care, patience and a bunch of affordable ingredients. All you need to come up with this dish is to gather your ingredients all together and the use of numerous spices. And the secret behind the naming of this recipe is the use of a pressure cooker. Hence, the name Chicken Madghout.
Yemeni Chicken Madghout
- 1 Whole chicken chopped
- 3 cups of basmati rice
- 4 and 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- 1 cup of shredded carrots.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 1 chicken broth cube
- 1 lime
- 3 cardamom pods.
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of curry
- 1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of margarine
- Put the ghee, finely chopped onions, and garlic in a pressure cooker and continue stirring until the onions are wilted and golden
- Add the chicken pieces after washing them and sauté them with ghee, onions, and garlic
- Add in the spices; then add the peeled and sliced tomatoes
- Pour in the tomato sauce and the shredded carrots over the chicken
- Close the pressure cooker without any liquid until the chicken becomes tender
- Add in the rice after it has been soaked, washed, and very well-drained over the chicken after it is cooked,
- Stir very well; then add in the chicken broth, the chicken broth cube, and the ground spices over the rice
- Sauté with the ingredients, then close the pressure cooker until the rice becomes soft.
- Pour the rice into a serving dish and garnish it with the roasted nuts and the chopped parsley.