Moussaka is a traditional Middle Eastern and Greek recipe. It is cooked in a vegetarian way or with ground meat – with or without bechamel. Here is one of its recipes with melted cheese.
- 1 kg tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 eggplants
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and black pepper
- Raisins optional
- 1 cup of thyme and some for garnish
- 300 g of Frico Edam cheese
- Peel and chop the tomatoes, then mix in a blender with the juice.
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the chopped onions and garlic until their color changes.
- Add in the tomato sauce, tomato juice, water, and bay leaves. And when boiling, reduce the heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the raisins at the end and the thyme
- Heat the corn oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the eggplant slices on both sides and drain on kitchen paper.
- Season with salt and pepper; then preheat your oven and in a pyrex bowl, arrange slices of eggplant, then add half of the tomato sauce
- Add a layer of cheese slices, then a layer of eggplant.
- Add in the rest of the tomato sauce and add more Edam cheese slices.
- Sprinkle some thyme for garnish
- Bake the moussaka in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese melts
- Serve and enjoy hot with bread!