The baklawa is the king of pastries, and this variety of baklava dish is considered as one of the most well known types of baklavas that Tunisians love the most, especially on special occasions and in Eid.
Tricolored Baklava, Balkavat El bey
Ingredients for the Baklava
- 5 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour
- 2 Pounds of semolina
- 1 Large egg
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 Pounds of margarine
- 1/4 Pound of corn flour
- 1/2 liter of olive oil
- 1 1/2 Pounds of almonds, ground
- 1/4 Teaspoon of red coloring
- 1/4 Teaspoon of green coloring
- 1 1/2 Pounds of pistachio nuts
- 1 1/2 Pounds of hazelnuts
Ingredients for the syrup:
- 2 Pounds of sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of honey
- 2 Tablespoons of orange blossom water
- Thinly spread the baklava sheets; to do that, spread each piece on a marble sprayed with corn flour, sprinkle the obtained paper with corn flour, and repeat the process with sticks several times until you obtain a very delicate paper whose diameter exceeds the diameter of the tray.
- Combine the oil with the margarine after heating it a little bit; then take a little bit of it with a piece of cloth and apply it to the tray.
- Lay ten sheets of baklava at the bottom of the tray; then spread the hazelnuts on top.
- Spread the baklava sheets on the hazelnuts; and on top put the ground almonds, after mixing them with the red coloring.
- Repeat the same process again by covering the almonds with ten baklava sheets and spread the pistachios over them, after topping them with pistachio nuts. Then cover with ten baklava sheets
- Brush the filo sheets from above with a lot of oil and ghee.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough in the shape of baklava
- Put it in a high-heat oven for about 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup; and to do that, in a saucepan, combine the sugar and the water; then add the juice of half a lemon, and let boil on the stove for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add the farina with continuous and strong stirring; then add in the flour and cook for about 5 additional minutes making sure to stir
- Pour one portion of the syrup over the baklava immediately when you take it out of the oven.
- Let the baklava cool down for a whole night before removing it from the tray and serving it
- Serve and enjoy your baklava!