Whether you are enjoying a vacation, an idle evening or any other excuse you can use for a feast; the Middle Eastern cuisine has a lot to offer you. There are a lot of choices to get you the perfect feast. The Middle Eastern cuisine offers a big diversity of dishes to pick from. But Syria has unique cuisines that deserve special mention for its dish. Especially pepper mezze dishes. And when it comes to their mezze dishes there is a lot of dish to mention in this country but there is room for an honorable mention in the list. The dish is known as muhammara.
Muhammara is similar to another dish known as hummus but has a slight twist of taste in it. It is basically called a red pepper dip. It is a very delicious subtly sweet roasted red pepper dip flavored with walnuts, Aleppo pepper and pomegranate molasses.
The most appealing part of these dip is that it is completely a vegan recipe. So, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian people around the world enjoy it equally.
Muhammara – Middle Eastern Cuisine
Muhammara is served as a mezze dish of the Middle East cuisine based restaurants all over the world. Generally It is served with other dips like baba ganush and hummus. But many prefer eating it with salad like tabouli and fattoush.
This hearty walnut and roasted red pepper dip was originated in a Syrian city named Aleppo. Aleppo is very famous for its hospitable culture and vibrant flavors; especially the famous vibrant red chili peppers; which has a fruity texture with moderate heat level and some lightly warm tangy undertones. The traditional muhammara recipe uses three ingredients which are: red bull peppers, roasted walnuts and Aleppo pepper flakes which acts as the main spice of the dish. The toasted walnuts and bread crumbs used in the dish provide a texture and round out flavor of the peppers and other ingredient balances the peppers hotness with a subtle sweetness.
This dish has a widespread popularity and many people have a great deal of fondness for this dish. And this is also a signature dish of Aleppo. If you have any food lover friend there is a healthy chance you will get to know positive things about it from them. So let’s not waste any time and start walking through the ingredients list and recipe of this tasty traditional mezze dish.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3⁄2 cardamom pods (cracked)
- 1 1 tablespoons rose water (I prefer the Iranian ones superior)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar (or 1⁄3honey)
- 5 cups water salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4ghee
- In a small bowl or coffee cup put saffron, rose water and the cardamom.
- Wash the white rice until the water runs clear.
- In a large heavy pot boil the water.
- Stir in salt and rice and return water to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Boil uncovered for 8 minutes.
- Melt the butter or ghee in the same pan the rice was cooked. Add the rice back in with sugar and or honey.
- Sprinkle the rose water and spices on top of the rice.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, make 3 small holes in the rice.
- Cover the pan with a paper towel and place lid tightly on top.
- Cook over low heat about 20 minutes, until done.