Persian Saffron Ice Cream
- 2 tablespoons of cream
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron dissolved in warm water
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salep dried root of orchid
- 1/2 cup dry roasted pistachios roughly chopped
- Cover a bowl with wax paper and spread the cream on the wax paper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Add the milk in a saucepan, apply medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- When it comes to a boil, remove saucepan from heat slowly stir in the saffron water, rose water and vanilla extract. Stir to combine. Mix sugar and Salep in a separate bowl, and stir it in the milk mixture.
- Whisk ingredients thoroughly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Cover bowl and place it in the fridge, freeze for about 30 minutes. Remove from the fridge and place it on top of a larger bowl with ice bath.
- Whisk ingredients for about 20 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Transfer ice cream mixture in an airtight container, freeze for 3 hours. Shred the frozen ice cream, portion into individual serving bowls and top off with pistachios.
- Before serving, sprinkle the shredded cream and pistachios over it.
- Bastani Saffron Ice Cream can be served plain or with wafers.