Making one of the most popular traditional Palestenian appetizer recipes; this recipe of Mutabak; which is known as a Motabak with Zaatar or Palestinian Fatayer stuffed with Za’atar; this recipe makes a perfect side dish or appetizer that is packed with nutrients and that is very delicious.
For the dough:
- 7 Cups of all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon of dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar
- 2 Cups of warm water
- 1/4 Cup of olive oil
For the filling:
- 5 Medium finely chopped onions
- 1 Pound of washed and drained green thyme, zaatar
- 1 Cup of sumac
- 2 Teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- 2 Cups of oil
- Put the flour, sugar, yeast, and olive oil in the electric mixer, and start adding warm water to the ingredients, until you have a homogeneous dough, then remove the dough from the dough bowl,
- Knead the dough for a while with your hands, then set it aside for 60 minutes until the dough starts rising
- Prepare the filling and to do that; in a pot over the stove, put the olive oil, chopped onions, and stir until the onions are wilted, then add a cup of sumac
- Pour the lemon juice and the salt, then put the green thyme and stir the ingredients very well.
- Divide the dough into equal balls, and spread it on a surface sprinkled with a little quantity of oil; then fill the dough with the filling mixture
- Close the dough on the filling, and place it with an oiled oven tray; thne spread the dough a liitle bit using your hands until it becomes thin.
- Put the green thyme dish in the oven at a temperature of about 360°F/180 degrees C for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the motabaka from the oven; then serve and enjoy!