Moroccan Almond Pastry
--For dough :
- 4 cups regular flour .
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup tepid water .
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup almonds .
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar .
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon .
- 1/4 teaspoon green cardamon .
- 1 egg yolk .
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter melted Pistachio powder for garnishing.
--Dough preparation :
- Take all the dough ingredients and add them in a bowl and mix them well until smooth and satiny. When mixed well, wrap it in a plastic bag and leave it to rest at room temperature for about 1 hour. Divide the dough into 12 equal balls Shape each ball into a square. Place it on a light floured surface and roll into approximately 6 inch square using roller pin. Dust again with flour. Use roller pin until a 12x14 inch dough sheet is prepared. Do same with other dough balls.
- Add all the ingredients required to make filling in a bowl and mix them well until a smooth paste is formed. Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate it for about half an hour.
--Pastry Preparation :
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay one dough sheet on baking sheet, brush it with butter then fold in half lengthwise, creating 6 by 8.5 inch rectangle. Brush more butter on top of each rectangle, then lay a second dough sheet on top, placing it so that the long edge on the one side is aligned. Brush the aligned-half of the top sheet with more butter and fold over to match 6 by 8.5 inch rectangle formed by first. Do this process until a four sheet thick stack of dough is obtained. Just like that make other two four sheet thick stacks of dough. Let's divide the filling into three equal portions. Roll each portion to the size almost equal or less to the smaller sides of the dough stack rectangle. Top the fourth sheet with filling and roll down the whole stack A pastry bar is obtained. Coil this pastry bar like snail or traditionally as you like.Bake pastries in the oven for about 40-45 minutes. Let it cool and dust with pistachio powder or confectioners sugar.