Machboos is extremely fashionable within the Middle East like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Persian, and has become a family favorite Chicken Machboos. Machboos is comparable to Biryani and Kabsa (Saudi Arabia), all with varied preparation strategies, ingredients, the degree of spiciness, and assembly. However all 3 area units essentially meat and rice dishes. It is very easy, tho’ my steps could seem a bit comprehensive. But you can make it easily.
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 650 g basmati rice
- 3 tomatoes quartered
- 1-11/2 kg chicken
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 1 green hot pepper or as desired
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 2 black dried limes
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices
- 11/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon .
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- Cut the chicken in half. Heat the water and leave aside. In a small bowl, mix the spices (masala, turmeric, cumin, and cardamom) together and add to the mixture one teaspoon of salt. Sprinkle half of the spice mixture on the chicken halves.
- Heat oil in a large cooking pan, fry the onions until golden brown, then add the pepper and the black limes - you MUST make a hole in each lime.
- Add the chicken to the onion mixture and turn it over a few times in the pan. Sprinkle on the chicken a teaspoon of cinnamon and the rest of the mixed spices. Turn all the contents together so the chicken is coated with the spices, cover the pan and let it cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chopped ginger, and tomato cubes to the pan and turn the ingredients in the pan a few times. Cover again for 3 minutes on medium heat. Sprinkle the rest of the salt and pour water on it while it’s still hot. Cover the pan and let it cook for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the chopped coriander 5 minutes before you remove the chicken from the pan. While the chicken is being cooked, wash the rice well and soak for 10 minutes in cold water, then drain.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and put on an oven tray, brush with some oil and sprinkle with the rest of the cinnamon powder and grill in the oven until the chicken becomes golden brown.
- Add the rice to the chicken, stir then let it cook on low heat until the rice absorbs the stock and is done. Sprinkle rose water and lemon juice over the rice and place the butter pieces on the top. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve the rice on a large serving plate and place the grilled chicken halves on top.