- 1 lb Lamb cut into medium pieces
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup yogurt or sour cream
- 2 onions sliced
- 3 tomatoes paste
- 2 tablespoon regular white flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice,
- 2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 peppercorn
- 2 teaspoon green chili paste
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest to enhance the flavoring
- 6-8 black pepper
- 2 pinch saffron threads one to sprinkle on rice and other to marinate the lamb
- Salt to taste
- Boil the rice with a teaspoon salt, lemon zest, 2 black peppers, a pinch cinnamon powder, a pinch saffron and a pinch of cumin in 5 cups of water over medium heat for about 8- 10 minutes until done.
- After boiling, drain the extra water from rice and set them aside.Don't cover. Preheat the oven at 350F. Blend the yogurt for a minute until smooth.
- Take a large bowl; add coriander, cumin, saffron, cinnamon, black pepper, green chili paste, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, peppercorns and yogurt in it, mix them well.
- Coat the onions with flour and deep fry them for a minute or Add half of them into yogurt mixture along with meat. Cover the bowl tightly and place this marinated meat in the refrigerator for at least 3-4
- After this, pour the meat marinade into a Pyrex or stoneware dish and add a cup of water. Cover it.
- Place it in the oven for about 2 hours, until the meat becomes tender enough. When the lamb is ready, layer it with rice on top. Sprinkle the rest of onions over it. Cover it and Place it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot with pickled lemons and red chili sauce.