An authentic Morrocan dish, Tagine Hlou or sweet Lamb tagine is never absent on the first day of the month of Ramadan on the table of Iftar. There are even people who like Tagine hlou to always be on their table. a very good sweet salty recipe, called tagine hlou, or marka hlowa, or more easily: lamb tagine with prunes, almonds and apricots.
Tagine Hlou; sweet Lamb tagine
- 1 1/2 Pounds of lamb meat; chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups of dried prunes
- 2 Cups of dried apricots
- 1 Cup of dried raisins
- 1 medium finely chopped onions
- 1/4 Cup of clarified butter or ghee
- 3 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of orange blossom water
- 1 Tablespoon of powdered cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small quantity of saffron or coloring
- 1 Pinch of salt
- Place all the meat cut into pieces, the butter or ghee, the chopped onion, the coloring, the cinnamon and the salt in a large saucepan over a medium high heat
- Cover with approximately 1/2 liter of water, and cook, until the meat becomes tender; for about 35 minutes
- Meanwhile, steam the prunes and apricots, be careful not to mix them, to keep the beautiful color of each of them.
- Soak the raisins into orange blossom water, so that it gets a nice smell
- Towards the end of cooking process the meat, place the puneaux, apricots and raisins in it.
- Add the sugar and orange blossom water, cook for just a few minutes; then remove from the heat.
- When serving, you can garnish your dish with a few peeled and toasted almonds.
- Serve and enjoy your Tagine Hlou!