With a combo of a myriad of nutritional and flavorful ingredients, this Egyptian Koshari (Kushari) recipe takes you to a short trip to Egypt to try one of the most popular affordable Egyptian recipes that you can ever find, Koshari.
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of white rice, uncooked
- 3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 packet of ebow pasta
- 1 cup of lentils, previously soaked in water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 pieces medium onion
- 2 pieces garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 pieces tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a saucepan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the rice and stir for a few minutes until it is completely coated with oil, then add three cups of water and a teaspoon of salt
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low
- Cover the saucepan and cook for about 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and absorbs all the liquid.
- Boil the pasta in lightly salted boiling water (approximately 8-10 minutes) until Al Dante.
- Drain in a colander and return to the pot; then cover and set aside
- Soak the lentils in water for about half an hour, then filter and wash twice. Add two cups of water, then add the lentils and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to quiet, and cook the lentils until soft, then add half a teaspoon of salt.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a large frying pan and heat. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, until the onions are browned.
- Add teh garlic and cook for an additional minute, then strain the mixture on kitchen paper
- Take half of the onion mixture and put it in a saucepan.
- Add the vinegar, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, black pepper, two teaspoons of salt, cumin and cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil.
- The mixture should be thick and similar to sauce. If the consistency of a paste, add half a cup of boiling water
- Reduce teh heat to medium to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- To serve, spread the plate in layers: place a ladle of rice and top it with a ladle of pasta, followed by the same amount of lentils
- Sprinkle the top with a little bit of fried onion and garnish with tomato sauce
- Serve and enjoy your delicious Koshari