Jewelled rice (morasa pulao)
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup and 1/2barberries
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads t
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 stick melted butter 120 gr
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 cup almonds . diced
- 1 cup pistachio nuts diced
- 1/2 cup orange zes
- First rinse the rice until clear.
- Now place them in a bowl and cover with water. Add salt to it and soak for at least 4 hours.
- Grind sugar and saffron together with a coffee grinder. Now add 1/3 cup boiled water to the sugar and saffron mix and set aside. Drain the rice Place the rice in a wide pan with lid over medium heat add 8 cups of fresh water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable oil and butter in a separate pan, add the sliced potatoes in a single layer on the base of the pan, season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the boiled rice plus the remaining cooking water, sprinkle the almonds and pistachios, without mixing.
- Cover the lid with clean kitchen cloth and place it over the rice. simmer over very very low flame for about 20-25 minutes.
- Put 2 tablespoon of the melted butter in a sauce pan, add berries and cook until soft, then add a bit of sugar and saffron to it.
- Gently remove almonds and pistachios from the rice. Take 1/2 rice in a bowl, add sugar and saffron mixture, 1/2 orange zest, 1/2 almonds, 1/2 pistachios and 1/2 of the berries in it and mix them well.
- For serving, put some plain rice and top it with a layer of rice with ingredients. Continue until done, then garnish with almonds and pistachios and pour the remaining melted butter over it.
- Delicious jewelled rice are ready to serve.