A simple as well as a traditional Saudi dish that uses crushed wheat; this dish makes a Vegetarian version of this recipe. You will greatly enjoy this recipe especially that it uses a few affordable ingredients that you will greatly love.
- 1 Cup barley groats or wheat soaked for at least an hour (freekeh or coarse bulgur can be used)
- 1/4 Cup of lentils, soaked for half an hour;
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 Bunch of chard; medium sized
- 1 1/2 liters of hot water
- 5 whole grains of cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed black pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
- In a saucepan, steep for two minutes a cup of cereal with half a cup of lentils with two tablespoons of olive oil, cardamom, black pepper and a little salt
- Add in the hot water and let simmer over a medium heat
- Lower the heat and cook for about 12 minutes
- Add in the chopped chard, the cumin and half the quantity of the lemon juice
- Let boil for a few additional minutes; about 5 to 7; then serve and enjoy your Jareesh!