Fasulya – Turkish White Beans with Chicken is a recipe that is based on beans, which are known for being a magical and nutritious ingredient; it is not only packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and nutrients, including magnesium, folate and B6, but it can also help regulate the level of glycemy in our blood.
Fasulya - Turkish White Beans with Chicken
- 1/2 pound Cannellini white beans, or pea beans
- 1 piece Dry red bell pepper, (whole)
- 1 piece medium sized white or red onion, (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pieces Carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 pound chicken breast (cut into cubes), or chicken legs
- 1/2 tbsp Salt, fine
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper powder
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tablespoon sugar Sugar is used in this recipe to alleviate, if exists, the sour taste of the tomato paste
- 1/2 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup black olive
- Start by draining the white beans; then rinse it very well under cold water and set aside
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a heavy saucepan; then add the finely chopped onion, the garlic, the whole dried red pepper, the grated carrots and saute your ingredients for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add cubed chicken to the pan, and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, the sugar and mix very well with the chicken and the other ingredients.
- Cover your saucepan; then lower the heat and let your mixture simmer on a low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add in the beans and the water; then mix gently so that you don't risk crushing the beans.
- Sprinkle the black pepper, the red pepper flakes and the salt.
- Cover the saucepan, and let your ingredients cook for about 10 additional minutes over a medium heat.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and mix very well; then add in the black olive and mix very well.
- Serve your delicious dish with plain rice or just with pita bread and enjoy its amazing taste!