Have you ever visited the Tunisian city Kairouan? If you haven’t done that yet, you should know that Tunisia is very well-known of Makroud. You can make this authentic Tunisian dessert with a few simple ingredients.
- Dough ingredients:
- 1 kg of semolina
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- A small teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 liter oil
- Water as needed
- Ingredients for the filling:
- 250 grams of Dates pitted and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon of Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 3 Tablespoons of Roasted sesame
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Ingredients for the syrup:
- 4 Cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- The juice of 1/2 a lemon
- One stick of cinnamon
- Pour the oil over the semolina and mix with your hands well.
- Gradually add the water to the dough
- Knead very well; then let rest
- Prepare the filling by mixing the mashed dates with the ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and roasted sesame.
- From the dates in the form of fingers and set them aside
- Take a piece of dough and shape it lengthwise and dig in the middle.
- In the middle, we put a finger of dates
- Roll the dough so that we make the dates completely covered with the dough
- Roll the stuffed dough and flatten its consistency.
- Press on it with the Markoud mould
- Using a knife, remove the excess edges
- Divide the Markroud from each other; transfer the makroud into hot oil.
- Drain it from the oil very well.
- Prepare the syrup by placing the sugar and water on medium heat for half an hour, after which we add the lemon juice
- Add the cinnamon stick and turn off the heat, so that the syrup is ready.
- Put the cinnamon stick after frying it in the hot syrup.
- Drop the makroud and sprinkle it with roasted sesame, and with this, the makroud will be ready.
- Serve and enjoy your makroud