The egg plant casserole is one of the popular dishes as it is very filling and hearty, due to the its rich mixture of yoghurt and eggplant.Print Recipe
- 2 medium medium-large sized eggplant
- 300 g minced lamb or beef meat
- 1 small onion
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1½ black pepper, mixed spice, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander, ginger and turmeric
- parsley and pine nuts
The Yogurt ingredients
- 2 cups yogurt (500 g)
- 2 teaspoon tahini paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Large pita bread cut into cubes
The Sauce ingredient
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 hot green pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper, mixed spice, cardamom, cinnamon, coriander powder.
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate paste (debs romaan) (optional)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 cups vegetables or chicken( broth or boiled water
- Mince the onion and crush the garlic.
- Add the minced meat into a skillet.
- Top with onion, garlic and vegetable oil and cook over high heat.
- Cover and reduce heat to low about 15 - 20 minutes or until the meat is well cooked.
- Remove the cover and cook 2-3 more minutes on high heat.
- Cut the eggplants into small cubes. Fry in vegetable oil or lay them into a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake on high heat for about 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the eggplants to stick to the baking sheet.
Instructions for the Sauce
- Mince or crush the garlic، cut the hot green pepper into small pieces, cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Fry the garlic slightly in olive oil until golden.
- Stir in the hot peppers over the garlic. stir one minutes
- Stir in the tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, pomegranate paste (if used), spices and the stock.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped fresh coriander and the fried eggplant cubes.
- Close heat.
- Cut the bread into medium size squares and fry in little vegetable oil. Or drizzle some oil and bake in oven. Stir occasionally until golden brown.
- Add the yogurt, tahini paste, salt and garlic into a bow. Whisk until well-combined.
- lay evenly the fried bread into a large serving dish about 40cm.
- Pour the cooked sauce with the eggplant over the bread. (a thin layer)
- Spread the prepared yogurt evenly on top of the sauce.
- Spread the cooked minced meat evenly on top of the yogurt.
- Garnish with minced fresh parsley and pine nuts. Serve.
Calories: 90kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 0.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 1039mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1250IU | Vitamin C: 34.7mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 4.3mg