Chicken Cheese rolls are very simple to prepare, involving at minimum a slice of bread and cheese. More often, added ingredients are placed into a filling mixture. But what distinguishes the Lebanese version is the type of cheese and dough used. Hence, this is not a traditional dish, but it is certainly flavorful and one of the best in Lebanon.
- 2 medium red bell peppers or 300g seeded and cut into halves
- 1 tablespoons ½fresh mint finely chopped
- 8 small skinned chicken breasts or 600g sliced
- teaspoon ¼ground black pepper
- 150 g low fat halloumi cut into fingers shape 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion or 75g chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour l
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 medium tomato or 150g peeled and chopped
- 2 cups ½water or 625m
- 2 cubes MAGGI® Chicken Less Salt Bouillon
- Place a saucepan on heat with some water. Bring to boil then add the bell pepper and simmer for minutes. Cool and drain then peel the skin and set aside.
- Place chicken slices between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet to uniform thin thickness.
- Place slice of red bell pepper on the chicken fillet (cut the bell pepper to fit the chicken slice) then the cheese and sprinkle with some oregano. Roll up and secure with toothpick.
- Warm the olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan, add the chicken rolls and cook from all sides until it’s brown in color. Remove chicken and set them aside.
- In the same saucepan; Add the onion and stir for 2 minutes then add the flour and stir for another 2 minutes. Add the mustard, tomato, MAGGI® chicken less salt bouillon cubes, water and black pepper and stir to boil, simmer for 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Blend the sauce using an electric hand blender then strain and place in a clean saucepan.
- Remove toothpicks from the chicken. Add the chicken into the sauce and simmer for 8 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Add the chopped mint and simmer for 2 minutes, stir and serve.
brief description of recipe