Bukhari Rice with chicken or Meat (Ruz Bukhari) is a delicious dish from the city of Bukhara, Uzbekistan. This recipe traveled to the Middle Eastern world and finally became an all-time favorite. The rice is cooked at low heat to give its flavor and aroma.
Chicken Marination and Cooking
- 1-2 tablespoons ghee ghee and vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chicken with bones (cut into 4 pieces) or 750g meat with bones
- 3 large onions slices
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots match sticks (divided into two halves)
- 3-4 large tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons chicken stock powder vegetta or magi
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
Marination Spices (chicken or meat)
- 2 teaspoons of mix of 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon of cloves powder
- 1 tablespoon apple vinegar (will only be used for chicken)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
whole spices for chicken or meat: whole cardamom, 1 cinnamon stick, cloves, 2 bay leaves, cloves, cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon mixed spice
- ¾ teaspoon ginger powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon .
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups rice mazza or basmati
Frying carrots and raisons
- 2 large carrots
- 1-1½ cup raisins
- ½-1 teaspoon sugar for fried carrots
- 1 cup raw almonds
- Marinate chicken or meat pieces in apple vinegar and lemon juice and oil a few hours or the night before; then drain; then mix the 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom, 1/8 teaspoon of cloves powder and rub very well over the chicken and let marinate for an overnight
- Drain the marination liquid (if any).
- Add ghee and oil onto a pot, on a high heat stir in the meat or chicken pieces. Turn once and keep until lightly browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Stir in the onions into the same pot. On high heat keep the onions until golden brown.
- Add ½ amount of the carrots on the onions. Stir once and then allow to lightly brown colour.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the whole spices, then the garlic. Mix until all well combined.
- Add tomatoe paste and the chicken stock powder.
- Stir in the browed meat or chicken pieces.
- Add all spices. Cover slightly the meat or chicken with boiled water.
- On high heat allow the sauce to boil. Reduce into low and cover.
- Keep the meat about 1½ to 2 hours until well cooked. The chicken need 40-45 minutes to be cooked.
- Add ½ amount of the chickpeas and remaining ½ of the raw carrots.
- Add the rice on top of the meat or chicken. At this time the level of sauce is reduced and it should only cover the rice about half to one inch.
- Cook the rice on high heat or until the sauce is almost absorbed.
- On top of the rice, lay three strips of the following: chickpeas, the raisins, and then add a strip of the fried carrots.
- Cover the pot and cook on low heat about 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Turn on serving dish. Garnish with the toasted almonds.
Cooking the Rice
- While the stew is cooking, soak the rice in water with salt.
- Fry raisins in some ghee or vegetable oil. Drain from oil and set aside.
- Stir in the carrots with the sugar and fry until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Boil the almonds in hot water for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the skins
- Spread on baking sheet.
- Toast in oven in the broil mode about 4 minutes. Stir each minute.